Monday, June 3, 2013

Running Home

I’m so exhausted after work I almost forget where I’m supposed to be going.  Levi! How could I forget? The 69W I would usually take home pulls up to the curb but I step back, waving the bus on. Once it pulls away from the curb I start walking in the opposite direction.
I rummage through my bag in search of my headphones. I pull them out, plug them into my phone and shove the buds into my ears. Only after I’ve crossed the street from the mall and have two older guys trailing behind me, do I realize my mistake. My hair is up in a tight pony-tail, and my earbuds are blasting Imagine Dragons, promptly obstructing my hearing.
I’m a perfect target.
I slowly take out my earbuds, wrap them up and shove them into my pocket. A few steps later I take down my hair. I take my phone out, and angle it behind me. In the reflection I see them. The same two guys, dressed in dark clothing, following me. Too close for comfort. I pick up my pace. They pick up theirs.
“Hey!” One of them yells.
Shit. I walk faster.
“Hey sweet thing, come back here!” I whirl around and watch them speed up.
Just be firm, Violet. They’ll go away.
“Screw off!” I yell, attempting to hide my fear in anger.
“Oooh, feisty little bitch.” The other guy coos.
Well that didn’t work, time to run.
I pick up my pace, jogging at first, then veer left and sprint into the maze of apartments that is Levi’s neighborhood. I’ve been through here enough times to be able to navigate it pretty well. I’m hoping I atleast have that over them.
I hear their footsteps behind me but don’t take the time to look back. I dart onto a dark path between two apartments then back around across a small yard and past multiple condos. I’m almost there.
“Hey! There she is!” One of the guys yells roughly.
I turn and see my pursuers sprinting towards me across a large stretch of grass. I throw myself around the corner of one of the apartments. Finding their garage door open, I sprint inside and shove myself down into the far corner behind an overflowing garbage bin. My hand goes to the pepper spray in the side pocket of my backpack. My heart is hammering into my ears. I feel like a cornered rabbit waiting to die. Then I hear the patter of their footsteps. Tears fall from my eyes.
Please don’t stop, please don’t stop.
I’ve never been this afraid in my life.  They keep on running right past the garage, until I can no longer hear them. I let out a jagged breath and crawl out of my hiding place. I creep back to the front of the garage, and peak around the corner. I still see them off in the distance; searching.
When will they give up?
I slip out onto the street and make my way towards Levi’s house. Unfortunately, it’s in the same direction as my pursuers. I take a left, running into another cluster of apartments and pray they haven’t gone this far in yet.
Finally I see Levi’s front door and make a break for it. I hear the guys calling to each-other in the distance but this time, it isn’t about spotting me. I burst into Levi’s house, not taking the time to knock and quickly close the door behind me.
“Violet, what-” His eyes go wide as he takes in the sight of me. My face is flushed, my hair is plastered with sweat and my whole body is shaking violently.
“What’s wrong?” he asks.
I lift a shaky arm and gesture to the door.
“T-t-t-t two g-g-guys.” I stop gasping for air. “Ch-ch-chasing m-me.” I blubber and break down. Levi shoots forward and catches me as I crash to the ground in a fit of panicked tears. I clutch him hard and sob into his chest.
“It’s okay. You’re safe. You’re safe now. Shhh... you’re safe.” he murmurs, rubbing my back.


I don’t know how long it takes, but my tears finally stop and I look up at him through puffy eyes.
“Thank you Levi”. I look down and see I’ve successfully drenched his shirt with my tears. I laugh but it sounds more like a whimper.
 “I’m sorry”. I say. I feel him laugh.
“Its okay, don’t worry about it.” he says.
“So, what happened?”


Just as I thought, as soon as I tell him Levi is boiling with anger.
“They what?!  I can’t believe those bastards! Fuck, I should have picked you up. Why did I let you walk here alone?! How stupid! I’m so sorry Violet. I’m so sorry. I’ll never let that happen again. So help me God if I ever see those guys Im going to kill them.”
“Levi!” I exclaim.
“What? I’m not going to let some punk ass guys scare you like that. And think, what would they have done if they actually caught you?” he says desperately.
“I know what they would have done! You don’t have to remind me.” I say angrily.
“Okay, I’m sorry. I just can’t stand the thought of something happening to you. I’m picking you up after work from now on, I do not want you walking anywhere after dark, or taking the bus for that matter.” he says sternly.
“Levi...that hardly seems fair.” I say.
“Fair? I don’t care about fair, if I can keep you safe. It’s settled Vi. I’m picking you up from now on and taking you home.” he says, closing any debate on the matter.
“Which home?” I ask, wondering if he really means what he says.
“Either. Like I said, I don’t want you to have to take the bus.” He states, surprising me.
“Okay, fine.” I say.
“Thank you. Now let’s get you something to eat. You’re probably starving.”

No comments:

Post a Comment